Saturday, October 21, 2017

Artificial Radio Hour with Rev. Dr. Dr. Phill Part 43a


<spooky voice>
Greetings, everyone!
</spooky voice>

It's Halloween season, so that means I should do a Halloween-y show, right? Or maybe, I should do one today and one next week? Another next Tuesday, also?

How about...
A NEW SHOW EVERY DAY FROM NOW UNTIL HALLOWEEN!!!

IT'S HALLOWEEK!!!


I've used the Groovie Goolies before. They're a classic bubblegum cartoon group, and they do fit into the Halloween theme.


I have a whole bunch of Halloween-type music, but I don't necessarily know every song I've got, so what I did was search some keywords like "monster", "dracula", "werewolf", "dead", "ghost", "zombie", "creature", "kill" "murder", "devil", "grave" etc. This Al Yankovic tune isn't the first song you'd think of in terms of Halloween, but I think it fits.


"Frankenstein" is an example of a song that has a thematic name but nothing else. There are a few of that type in these Halloweek shows. (I have a lot of spooky instrumentals, as you'll hear.)


Gnarls Barkley is DJ Dangermouse and Cee-Lo Green. I thought of this song immediately when I was putting these shows together.


There are only two known photos of Robert Johnson. This is one of them.


I didn't remember that Outkast had a spooky-themed song. It makes sense because they are part of the Dungeon Family collective (so is Cee-Lo). This is the kind of thing I enjoy finding out through this journey through my music collection.


Satanic Malfunctions is a British hardcore punk band. The song is very loud, but also very short. (I assume the lyrics are scary.)


I didn't know that Tom Petty had a song with the word Zombie in it, but when I realized he did I knew it had to go in the show. R.I.P. Tom Petty.


I have quite a lot of spooky Vincent Price material, but this one is from his cooking show. I think they were short radio pieces, I'm only guessing at the date because he did release a couple of records of cooking shows in '77 but none of them seem to have this recipe for "Curried Boys" listed...


After a very "weird" tune from Bob Vidone (who I know nothing about), there is a short clip from maybe my favorite Disneyland attraction, the Haunted Mansion. You can no longer hear any of the original 1969 narration there on Halloween, because they change over to a "Nightmare Before Christmas" theme from September through December. It's cool, but I do really like the old version.

Okay folks, more tomorrow!

Enjoy!

- Rev. Dr. Dr. Phill


Monsters On Parade - Groovie Goolies (1970)


Slime Creatures From Outer Space - "Weird Al" Yankovic (1985)


Frankenstein - The Edgar Winter Group (1972)


 The Boogie Monster - Gnarls Barkley (2006)

This is the other Robert Johnson photo.
 Me & The Devil Blues - Robert Johnson (1936)


The Reaper's Ghost - Dean Gitter (1957)


Dracula's Wedding - Outkast (2003)


 Dead Living - Satanic Malfunctions (1988)

That's actually kind of a Halloween-y album title, come to think of it.
Zombie Zoo - Tom Petty (1989)

Boys - Vincent Price (1977)

"Vincent Price Laughed for You" - Vincent Price (1982)


 Weird - Bob Vidone & The Rhythm Rockers (1958)

I had this album, it had a storybook and everything. It was very cool.
 Three Ghostly Voices - Disneyland Haunted Mansion (1969)

1 comment:

  1. GROOVIE GOOLIES! NIIIICE!!!! CAN'T HAVE ANYTHING HOLLOWEEN WITHOUT A MENTION OF VINCENT PRICE! COOL PIC WITH THE BAT!

    ReplyDelete