Sunday, October 22, 2017

Artificial Radio Hour with Rev. Dr. Dr. Phill Part 43c



MORE HALLOWEEK!

<spooky voice>
Greetings everyone!
</spooky voice>

Back with part 3, er, 43c, of this here Artificial Radio Hour!

I'm trying to keep these emails brief, I'm already bogging you down with a lot of audio to get through.


Starting out, Fred Gwynne says hello as Herman Munster. It's a great record, with weird audio versions of The Munsters' usually visual humor.


I've talked about The Shaggs before, (part 16 & part 19) this tune is from their first album and it had to be included for obvious reasons.


Duplex Planet is a 'zine that began in 1979. David Greenberger, fresh of a degree in painting, got a job as activities director at a nursing home in Boston.

"On the day that I first met the residents of the nursing home, I abandoned painting. That is to say, I discarded the brushes and canvas, not the underlying desire to see something in the world around me and then communicate it to others. In this unexpected setting I found my medium. I wanted others to know these people as I did."

The magazine consists of interviews with the residents of the Duplex Nursing Home, and has been adapted to other media (comics, theater, and radio). This recording was issued as part of the Hello Recording Club in 1993. Hello was a subscription-only record label operated by John Flansburgh (of the band They Might Be Giants) and Marjorie Galen from 1993 to 1996.

Vampira (from the movie "Plan 9 From Outer Space")

Maila Nurmi

Vampira was the first real "Horror Host". Her schtick was imitated across the country by local TV personalities tasked with introducing old movies in the early days of TV. I'm not sure if the Bobby Bare song is actually about her, and I don't care.

Simon Fair Timony

Wikipedia says:

"The Stinky Puffs were an early 90's rock band started by then seven-year-old Simon Fair Timony, then-stepson of Jad Fair, and by Cody Linn Ranaldo, son of Sonic Youth guitarist Lee Ranaldo."

Jad Fair and Lee Ranaldo will come up later.


I don't know much about B.A. Johnston except that he's from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. I saw an article that claimed he was Canada's answer to G.G. Allin, but that can't possibly be right. I do like the song "Horror Movie Girls" quite a bit. It gets stuck in my head sometimes.


I have this cassette, I got it at McDonald's in 1995. This is another song that just starts going through my head sometimes.


I've put Goblin on the podcast before, way back in part 9. They are an Italian prog-rock group, best known for scoring several horror films directed by Dario Argento.


Dig that crazy Raven, man.




Here's Jad Fair, former stepdad of Simon Fair Timony. Maybe it's apparent why he encouraged his stepson's musical aspirations; they were similar.

Cutting it short, I'll talk to you tomorrow.

Enjoy!

- Rev. Dr. Dr. Phill


Herman Says Hello - The Munsters (1964)

It's Halloween - The Shaggs (1969)


That's Halloween - Duplex Halloween Planet (1993)


Vampira - Bobby Bare (1958)


Monsters - The Stinky Puffs (1993)

Run Home Screamin' - Duplex Halloween Planet (1993)


Horror Movie Girls - B.A. Johnston (2003)


I Like To Scare Myself - McDonald's Scary Sound Effects Cassette  (1995)


Dr. Frankenstein - Goblin (1976)

Good Old Mum - Duplex Halloween Planet (1993)


The Raven - Buddy Morrow and His Orchestra (1960)


Greed - Duplex Halloween Planet (1993)

Tricks Or Treat - Duplex Halloween Planet (1993)


I Want a Monster to Be My Friend - A Little Girl (Marilyn Sokol) (1975)


Frankenstein Must Die - Jad Fair (1980)

All Hallow's Eve - Duplex Halloween Planet (1993)


No comments:

Post a Comment