Saturday, May 27, 2017

Artificial Radio Hour with Rev. Dr. Dr. Phill Part 22



Howdy howdy howdy! I'm a cowboy.

Hello out there in Artificial Radioland!

 I'm back on "schedule" with another longish episode (still under the arbitrary 1-hour mark, but only barely!). I'll attribute the length to an absolutely un-editable piece from the Beef And Dairy Network Podcast, I hope you'll understand when you hear it that I couldn't bear to trim it more than I did.

There is a theme this week, see if you can tell what it is! The first person to guess correctly wins a prize! (Seriously, I'll mail you something neat.)

Besides the theme, and the discussion of unusual/hard to find sodas on two different podcasts more than a month apart, I don't see any odd synchronicities in this week's show. Maybe next time.



Some returning performers this time include the Godz & Laurie Anderson, while newcomers Pavement & the Aperture Science Psychoacoustics Laboratory might be familiar to listeners of This American Life or fans of the game Portal 2, respectively.

A few notes- The Godz track sounds better in headphones, I added a slow stereo sweep back-and-forth that I think improved it; also be sure not to miss the credits at the end of the Giorgio Moroder track!

That brings up a question: How do you all listen to the show? I know for some of you the answer is 'actually, I don't' but for those that do, is it headphones+your phone? streaming from the blog, playing over your amazon echo? an mp3 on your 9-year-old iPod(me)? over a bluetooth speaker hanging from your keychain while riding a bike? Let me know, the first 5 responses will win a prize! (When I started typing this I did not plan on giving out prizes, but now I definitely will.)



I think I'll cut this short before I start another prize giveaway, but be sure to scroll down for more images and video clips.

Until next time!

Enjoy!

- Rev. Dr. Dr. Phill

cAmElCaSe MaKeS yOu CoOl I gUeSs

1 + 1 = - The Godz (1966)

M+T=E/Re-Echo - The Higher Intelligence Agency (1993)

5-4=Unity - Pavement (1994)


Jay & Miles X-Plain the X-Men 148 – That’s So Ravens 2/27/2017

Ruby: The Adventures of a Galactic Gumshoe Part 34: Surf's Out - ZBS Foundation (1982)

LET X=X/It Tango - Laurie Anderson (1982)

Ruby: The Adventures of a Galactic Gumshoe Part 35: Android Sisters, "The Bomb" - ZBS Foundation (1982)

FF=66 - Jawbox (1994)

Ruby: The Adventures of a Galactic Gumshoe Part 36: Hall of Shadows - ZBS Foundation (1982)

Comedy = Tragedy + Time - Aperture Science Psychoacoustics Laboratory (Portal 2 Soundtrack) (2011)

War Rocket Ajax Episode 318 - Rackin' Up Enemies f/ Fred Van Lente 8/22/2016

The SubGenius Hour of Slack #1578 - 19X-Day Radio Synesthesia with Dr. Howll 'n Callers 7/8/2016

Beef and Dairy Network Episode 14 - A Matter Of Life And Death 8/21/2016

E=MC² - Giorgio Moroder (1979)

03:40 - Crazy Tonight = Strong Teeth - The Kleptones (2005)

Below are some of the sources for that final Kleptones mash-up, plus a video about Galco's Old World Grocery.






4 comments:

  1. I will take a guess at the theme: I think it is Energy or sugar, something like that? Am I close?
    I listen to the show streaming on my laptop and I'm following your written playlist, often googling and checking wikipedia pages about people and bands I am unfamiliar with. It's like a college course and I learn a lot. Thanks for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, that's not the theme I was thinking of. I can't rule out inadvertent themes though... Thanks for commenting! Getting people to look into some of this weird stuff is kind of exactly what I hope will happen. I'm glad you're enjoying it!

      Delete
  2. I like the interview with the guy from Galco's!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't he great? It's a fun store to visit.

      Delete