Sunday, September 3, 2017

Artificial Radio Hour with Rev. Dr. Dr. Phill Part 37



Hey there folks!

I'm out of town, so no big email this week. Just a real big playlist of some exotic classics, plus some cocktail recipes from Kevin Upthegrove from the 5 Minutes Of Rum podcast. Good stuff! 

Talk to you guys next week. Enjoy!

- Rev. Dr. Dr. Phill



Ataypura - Yma Sumac (1950)


Samba de Orfeu - Antonio Carlos Jobim (1959)


Afro Blue - Arthur Lyman (1965)


Quiet Village - Martin Denny (1957)


Comanche - The Revels (1962)


Hernando's Hideaway - Enoch Light and the Light Brigade (1960)


Nature Boy - Esquivel (1958)


Moonlight Lady - Gabby Pahinui Hawaiian Band (1975)


Dream - Santo & Johnny (1959)


Wipe Out - The Surfaris (1963)


Lujon - Henry Mancini (1961)




5 Minutes of Rum Episode 51: Pusser’s Navy rum - Kevin Upthegrove 2/20/2016 The Painkiller, and Gorillas on Deck


Radar Blues - Les Baxter feat. Dr. Samuel J. Hoffman (1947)


Caravan - Martin Denny (1959)


Jumping at the Woodside - PĂ©rez Prado & Shorty Rogers (1955)


Baja - The Astronauts (1963)


Hano Hano Hawaii - R. Crumb and His Cheap Suit Serenaders (1978)


Sleepwalk - Santo & Johnny (1959)


The Girl From Ipanema - Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto (1963)


The Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Room - The Enchanted Tiki Room (1963)

Mr. Moto - The Bel-Airs (1961)


Forbidden Island - The Surfmen (1960)


Quiet Village - Arthur Lyman (1959)


5 Minutes of Rum Episode 10: Spiced rum - Kevin Upthegrove 8/2/2013 Infusing your own spiced rum


Glow Worm Cha-Cha-Cha - Jackie Davis (1959)


You Belong to Me - Santo & Johnny (1960)



Little Brown Jug (long version) - The Bel-Airs (1961)


Miserlou - Martin Denny (1961)


Babalu - Yma Sumac (1952)


Mah Na Mah Na - Leroy Holmes (1968)


The Look Of Love - Billy May (1972)


Bustin' Surfboards - The Tornadoes (1962)


Soul Sauce - Cal Tjader (1965)


Bo Mambo - Yma Sumac (1954)


Stranger On The Shore - Mr. Acker Bilk (1962)


Stairway to the Stars - Frank Comstock (1962)


5 Minutes of Rum Episode 7: The Mai Tai - Kevin Upthegrove 6/16/2013 The Trader Vic's Mai Tai.

Crowntiki menu by Howard Hallis, howardhallis.com

Cecilia Ann - The Surftones (1964)


Tiki Torches At Twilight - David Lindley (1988)


Aloha Oe - The Surfmen (1960)

2 comments:

  1. Loved this, great playlist! Will probably play it again for our next cocktail party! Or when I need a cocktail party in my mind...
    My favorite moment was when the MahNaMahNah song came on... I haven't heard it in so long and it was my favorite when I was like 12... this was a different cover on it which I hadn't heard so I really enjoyed that. Then The Look of Love was another one that really took me back! Loved the recipes thrown in! Did you do the cricket sounds and the, like, night-atmosphere sounds? Keep up the good work! This one is a great one, Phill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! It's funny, I forgot to list the stuff I put underneath the 5 Minutes of Rum clips, so I had to listen again to remember what it all was. The first clip (Painkiller) has a piece by a classic weirdo named Eden Ahbez. It's called "The Old Boat" and it has great creaky boat sounds on it. I cut it from an episode of a great exotica music show called "The Quiet Village Podcast". The second clip (Spiced Rum) has a song by an indie rock band called Yo La Tengo called "Green Arrow" that came with its own cricket sounds. I first heard that one on This American Life. The third clip (Mai Tai) has my own version of "atmospheric". I took a short piece (about a minute long) by an experimental composer from Long Beach named Glenn Bach, and put it in three times in a row. Then I flipped the middle one around. You hear the piece three times, but the second time it plays backwards! I got the cricket sounds from a collection of sound effects, and I sped them up slightly because it was very hot here at the time, and I wanted the "cricket thermometer" to more accurately reflect that. For a "low-effort" episode, I probably put in more work than I should have...

      Delete