Saturday, December 23, 2017

Artificial Radio Hour with Rev. Dr. Dr. Phill Part 53


Hey folks!



It’s gonna be a new year! There aren’t many New Year’s songs, mostly just Auld Lang Syne, so I’ve picked out a bunch of songs about winter & snow.(and also a few versions of Auld Lang Syne).

This is the last weekly show I’m gonna do. It’s a lot of work to put this out every week, so I’m scaling back to once a month (probably).

I hope you’ve liked the shows you’ve listened to. You can find all of the previous episodes at the blog, revdrdrphill.blogspot.com. Catch up on any episodes you’ve missed!

No big write-up this week, either. It’s holiday time!

Enjoy!


-Rev. Dr. Dr. Phill


Auld Lang Syne - Lenny Dee (1961)

Snow Flower - Ananda Shankar (1970) (He was Ravi Shankar’s nephew, but did not learn sitar from him.)

Our Winter Love - Bill Pursell (1963) (Listen for the crazy fuzz-tone guitar! Wild!)

Snow Song - The Mountain Goats (1999) (Recorded on a boombox.)


A Hazy Shade Of Winter - Simon & Garfunkel (1968)

Snow in the Lowlands - Colorpulse (2010)

auld lang syne - c#merle (2011) (Another tune from the Cigar Box Nation Christmas album.)

New Year Resolutions - Colonel Sanders (197?)

Duane Park Snow - Robert Ginder (1998)

The Ice of Boston - The Dismemberment Plan (1998)


Winter At Night - i am robot and proud (2003)

Snow Tires - Unbunny (2004)

Auld Lang Syne - Sufjan Stevens (2006)

Snow - Nilsson (1970) (From Nilsson Sings Newman, an album of Randy Newman songs. Randy is the accompanist.)


A Sight for Sore Eyes - Tom Waits (1977)
Fun Winter - ze frank (2007)
Mancini New Year - Henry Mancini (19??)
A Marshmallow World - Vic20 (1999)

Auld Lang Syne - Guy Lombardo (1997) (Before Dick Clark, before Ryan Seacrest, this was the New Year’s guy. Literally.)

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I loved this one. It was perfect music to listen to while getting ready to go to a New Years Eve party and Charlotte was in the room with me. Then a song came on and I said, "That sounds like your dad!" and I looked it up and sure enough, I was right! I felt rather proud that I called it right away and that Charlotte was there to witness it. I haven't told him yet, I'm just going to encourage him to listen to it and see what happens. Surprise! Loved that!!!
    I really really enjoyed this one and i love Tom Waits so much, and the little Col. Sanders New Years Resolution was PERFECT. You are really good at this, and thank you for doing it.

    Keep up the good work, and Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I appreciate your work. I have been looking for the first 13 tracks of the Voltage Controlled Technicolor mystery comp. for over a decade. I know that you played a few a while back on your show. Would it be possible to request that you share a link to the first 13 tracks? As you recall, it is a haunting compilation...

    In any case thanks for your work.

    -RDG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello fellow old-timey mp3 blog denizen! I guess somehow I'm pretty high in the search results for voltage controlled technicolor, huh? Wild. I have uploaded all 26 tracks to the Internet Archive, you can find it at archive.org/details/VCTMYSTERYCOMP

      Delete
    2. Thanks Phillip!! I am checking it out now. For all these years I only had the second half. Keep up with the great music!


      Delete