Saturday, November 11, 2017

Artificial Radio Hour with Rev. Dr. Dr. Phill Part 46




Hey folks!

This one is the podcast podcast.

This week's episode is composed primarily of clips from other podcasts. Normally I include a few podcast clips in each show. At this point, a few weeks have gone by since I included any clips, so that means that the podcast clips I've carefully selected for (semi-random) inclusion in each week's show have been building up.

Thus, we come to this week's show: instead of a bunch of music based around a vague theme with podcast clips interspersed, instead it's a bunch of podcast clips with a sprinkling of music layered into, between, & under them.


It should come as no surprise that I listen to a lot of podcasts. I do most of my podcast-listening while I'm at work, and I can go through 6-9 hours of shows per night. I typically prefer listening to shows with talking rather than music, and I like shows that make me laugh more than shows that don't, but I hear all kinds.

I have an unfortunate habit of listening to podcasts in chronological order, which means that because I listen to so many of them I am currently nearly eight months behind the present day. This may explain why the clips I use are as old as they are. When I'm listening to a podcast and I hear a clip I’d like to use, I make a note of the episode & time and then edit it in audacity when I get home. Then it sits in a folder for a while until I'm ready to use it.

So, then, these are the clips that have been languishing in folders for a bit, while I've been making podcast-free shows.

A note on the music played under the clips in this episode: for the most part it was selected by length. I would figure out how long a podcast clip was and then find a piece of audio that was about the same length. That's very much in line with the “chance operations” philosophy of this show, and I must say it tends to work out nicely.

So let’s go through this track by track (I’ll put the notes by the track listings this time, let me know how that works for you.):


Track 51 - Paul Stanley

I have a whole disc worth of Paul Stanley’s stage banter. It’s an hour of Paul Stanley’s lame, “spontaneous” stage banter introducing KISS songs. I don’t like KISS, I don’t really have any of their music… but I do have this.


the memory palace - The Met Residency Episode M2: One Bottle, Any Bottle 10/6/2016

the memory palace [sic] is a fantastic little gem of a podcast. Nate DeMeo creates these tiny portraits of historical subjects, layering music and narration in what you might call the “This American Life” style. His shows are so well put together, I can never clip sections out of them. As you may notice, this is pretty much a whole episode. It’s a great meditation on art and work, and I couldn’t cut it up too much without losing what made it good. For bonus points, listen to this segment in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.


Never Not Funny: The Jimmy Pardo Podcast Episode 1909 - Paul Gilmartin 10/6/2016

There haven’t actually been 1900 episodes of Never Not Funny (this one is “season” 19, episode 9) but there has been over 10 years of it. Jimmy Pardo is a stand-up comic originally from Chicago who is one of the best in the game. The guest on this episode, Paul Gilmartin, is one of his oldest friends. I chose this clip because of my familiarity with the Carson IKEA and its escalator.


inverted feedback tuba (by Scott Vance) - Robbie Riff (2005)

I’ve talked about SoundWalk before. It was a neighborhood-spanning sound installation event put on by Long Beach collective Flood, I really enjoyed it the years I attended and I picked up a CD featuring some of the artists at the 2004 and 2005 events. This track from the 2005 CD is playing under the Never Not Funny clip, but I can’t really find any info about Robbie Riff. The title is helpfully descriptive, however.


The Dana Gould Hour - Electile Dysfunction 10/6/2016


Dana Gould is also a stand-up, and was a writer on The Simpsons. His guests on this episode are also stand-ups, Chris Fairbanks is from Montana, and April Richardson is from Atlanta. Dana Gould is from Boston btw, I’m not sure why I need to say where everybody is from. I guess there isn’t a whole lot I can say about a comic except they’re funny? All these people are very funny by the way.

 
pulse's memento song - Ava Mendoza (2005)

This is another track from the SoundWalk 2005 CD. I’m pretty sure this is the same Ava Mendoza who is a guitarist on the “avant-jazz and out-rock scenes” (@avaavamendoza). I hope she doesn’t mind too much that I added echo.

freq phase - Sander Wolff (2004)

I put a phaser effect over most of the Sander Wolff track (from the SoundWalk 2004 CD) to kind of “thicken” the sound. You can hear what the track originally sounded like in the last couple of seconds before the Jordan, Jesse, GO! phone call starts. It sounds like he was using multiple frequency generators to create (ironically) a phase effect between them. I tend to put effects on stuff just shy of the point where it becomes incomprehensible. There’s effects on the Dana Gould clip, the Ava Mendoza clip, and the Sander Wolff clip, but I still think Dana’s story about the former TomKat theater comes through clearly...


Jordan, Jesse GO! Ep. 459: Ham Zoo with Eliza Skinner 12/19/2016

Jordan, Jesse GO! Is one of the first podcasts I started listening to in about 2009 when I started listening to podcasts. This coincided with me getting an iPod for my birthday that year. It had been difficult to put music onto my previous mp3 players, so I hadn’t bothered with podcasts until then.

One of the first ones I listened to was The Sound Of Young America, hosted by Jesse Thorn. I went all the way back and listened to every episode, starting from the earliest when it was a college radio show on KZSC Santa Cruz hosted by Jesse and Jordan Morris. Jesse and Jordan met in 2001, when Jesse was Jordan’s freshman RA. Jesse continued doing the show after he and Jordan graduated, and it eventually became the NPR show Bullseye. Jordan came on board to sort of spin off the comedic part of TSOYA as JJGO in  2007, launching the second show of what is now the Maximum Fun Network.


This clip starts with a caller from their segment “Momentous Occasions” and the hosts (and Eliza Skinner, their guest) share some thoughts on parents.

Put Your Weight On It - Connie Price & The Keystones (2008)


Pirates Of The Mediterranean - Connie Price & The Keystones (2008)

Connie Price & The Keystones is an instrumental project helmed by multi-instrumentalist Dan Ubick. They have served as the live backing band for rapper Big Daddy Kane and other hip-hop acts.

 
Mysterious Character Named “Bob” - DK Jones

This is from The SubGenius Hour of Slack Podcast, “Hour of Slack #1593 - God Vs. "Bob" Vs. Science”, 10/24/2016 which is a rerun of #866, from December 2002. It’s kind of like I’m using pieces of somebody else’s collage to make my own collage, I guess. There are a bunch of segments from this Hour Of Slack in my show this week. What can I say? It had a lot of really good parts.


Napalm Brain (Original Demo Beat) - DJ Shadow (2005)

DJ Shadow (aka Josh Davis) is an instrumental hip-hop producer from Davis, CA. I was going to layer this track under something else, (I don’t remember what) but I decided that it could stand by itself.

doubt case - Mark X Farina (2005)

This is the “you ate a hamburger” track. I was thinking about putting it under a podcast clip, until I realized it was an edited spoken word track. I ended up slapping some echo on it and pairing it with another SoundWalk 2005 piece.


ovum - Albert Ortega (2005)

I think I put a phaser effect on this, but I’m not 100% sure. It may have been a flanging effect. This was also originally on the SoundWalk 2005 CD.


Tread Perilously -- Webster: Moving On/Runaway 10/20/2016

Tread Perilously is a podcast by Justin Robinson (I went to high school with him) and Erik Amaya where they watch the worst episodes of popular shows, and pick them apart to determine if they contain anything of worth. I really enjoyed this digression (during a discussion of Webster) about Wally George, whose pro-wrestling style local TV conservatism seems positively quaint in 2017.

Robby Arranges Flowers, Zaps Monkey - Louis and Bebe Barron (1956)

Louis and Bebe Barron were pioneers of tape and electronic music. This is from the first entirely electronic film score, their score for “Forbidden Planet”, a sci-fi retelling of The Tempest from 1956 starring Leslie Nielsen and Anne Francis.


Bad Doktors Remix - Middle Age Crazy Rant

Another track from Hour of Slack #1593, aka Hour of Slack # 866. This clip sounds like Bruce Dern, but I don’t know what movie it’s from. This and the previous HoS clip are available on the 1984 SubGenius Foundation release Bad Doktors.


Jordan, Jesse GO! Ep. 460: Galoot Contingent with Helen Zaltzman 12/26/2016

A clip from another episode of Jordan, Jesse GO!. This one (and the next one, actually) are from an episode with Helen Zaltzman, host of the wonderful podcast The Allusionist on the Radiotopia network.  


Monument To Perez Prado - Nurse With Wound (1996)

Nurse With Wound is an experimental, improvisational group mainly consisting of Steven Stapleton. Their music tends to the drone-y side, and they have released a hell of a lot of it. I don’t know what this track has to do with Perez Prado, though.


Black Lodge Singers - "Mighty Mouse"

The Black Lodge Singers are a Native American northern drum group led by Kenny Scabby Robe, of the Blackfeet Nation.  They have released over 20 albums, and are known to include songs with pop culture references like this one.

Jordan, Jesse GO! Ep. 460: Galoot Contingent with Helen Zaltzman  12/26/2016

Rubberbands - Bruce Haack (1968)

Bruce Haack is (yet another) electronic music pioneer. This track appeared on a 1968 release called “The Way-Out Record For Children”.


Bro. Cleve "Donut" Dunkan - "SubGenius Alphabet"

Yet another clip from Hour of Slack #1593, again from the Bad Doktors album. Bro. Cleve here also recorded under the name “Slackmaster Cleve and the Spurious Jive”, which I really like.


Changeling (Original Demo Excerpt) - DJ Shadow (2005)


Jordan, Jesse GO! Ep. 465: Dorm Frosted with Mike Schmidt 1/30/2017

Mike Schmidt (not the baseball player) joins Jordan & Jesse for some ruminations about dorm frosting. Mike was formerly a regular on the Never Not Funny podcast, and has been doing his own podcast, The 40-Year-Old Boy, for more than ten years.

Zorn
Etude 15 - John Zorn (1995)

John Zorn is a real downtown NYC kind of guy. He’s a jazz player, often in the out, free, squonky type of jazz. He plays saxophone, but this is a guitar piece he composed for guitarist Eugene Chadbourne, here performed by Marc Ribot.


Too Different - Amps for Christ (1997)

I saw Amps For Christ in, I think, 1997, at a show put on by The Los Angeles Cacophony Society called The Mad Scientist Show. It featured many weirdo experimentalists, including Henry Barnes. He was playing a junkyard organ, reconstructed with hand-carved keys and homemade electronics, through handmade tube amps and effects. Lots of fun.



Jordan, Jesse GO! Ep. 465: Dorm Frosted with Mike Schmidt 1/30/2017

Crash and Burn (drum synth loop) - Pat Travers (1980)

I don’t know anything about Pat Travers. I acquired a folder of “stems”, isolated tracks,  mostly from 70s and 80s heavy rock. KISS, Van Halen, etc. This track was the right length, so it filled the slot underneath Mike Schmidt talking about his childhood.

 
99% Of Gargoyles Look Like "Bob" Dobbs - Half Man Half Biscuit (1985)

Half Man Half Biscuit are from Birkenhead, Merseyside, England. This song is another from Hour of Slack #1593.

 
Clip From Little Big Man - Bad Doktors (1984)

Little Big Man is a 1970 Western, but this clip is again from HoS #1593, as it appeared on the Bad Doktors album.

Alienation - Zoogz Rift  (1980)

I love Zoogz Rift. He has appeared in previous shows, go back and check him out.



That’s all for this week! Leave me a note or a comment letting me know what you think. At the end here I’ll leave a list of all of the podcasts I subscribe and listen to, some I used to listen to but don’t anymore, and some that I’ve listened to an episode or two but have not kept up with. So many, you guys! So many.

Enjoy!

  • Rev. Dr. Dr. Phill

No comments:

Post a Comment