Sunday, April 23, 2017

Artificial Radio Hour with Rev. Dr. Dr. Phill Part 17


I remember 1983 pretty well. I was only seven, but I guess it was memorable.

There are two podcast clips in this episode that reference 1983, which is odd because I had chosen the clips for this show before I'd chosen a theme. Pure coincidence, believe it or not!

I don't know if you can tell, but the dates on the Hour of Slack podcasts don't always reflect when the original material was made. I'm pretty sure the Minute of Slack & I Wanna Die 4 "Bob"* clips are from the mid, if not the early 80s.


I like Liquid Liquid, they evoke an early 80s NYC club scene I've never seen but can imagine, sort of.

Their records inspired early hip-hop, as did the South Bronx's own ESG (the Scroggins family!). DJs would play their  EP at a slower speed to stretch it out, which is what I did here. (I just noticed UFO is from 1981, but I'm leaving it in because I like it.)

I went for New Order's big album cut for '83, but I don't know about all these pop tunes. Am I selling out now?


Ruby is back, and we close with Su Tissue & Suburban Lawns who used to play at a place near my house if I'm not mistaken.

Enjoy!

-Rev. Dr. Dr. Phill

(I didn't even mention the Minutemen!)


Cavern - Liquid Liquid (1983)

The SubGenius Hour of Slack #1581 - RevDr Royal_de_Capitator - Somewhere Else With Bob (additional edits by Rev. Dr. Dr. Phill) 7/31/2016

Ruby: The Adventures of a Galactic Gumshoe Part 19: The Android Sisters, "Robots" - ZBS Foundation (1982)

Polarity - Minutemen (1983)

UFO (33 1/3 rpm) - ESG (1983)


Close Encounters/Star Wars - L'Orchestre Electronique (1983)

Out - Liquid Liquid (1983)

Adam Ruins Everything Ep 6: The Malleability of Memory with Elizabeth Loftus 8/3/2016

Ruby: The Adventures of a Galactic Gumshoe Part 20: So Long, Monet - ZBS Foundation (1982)

Age of Consent - New Order (1983)

The SubGenius Hour of Slack #1581 - Stang: Minute of Slack: Sucked Out Your Ears 7/31/2016


Pop Rocket - Stranger Things with Linda Holmes and Clinton Trucks 8/3/2016

Optimo (edit by Rev. Dr. Dr. Phill) - Liquid Liquid (1983)


An Ending (Ascent) - Brian Eno (1983)

Ruby: The Adventures of a Galactic Gumshoe Part 21: Onoffon & Offonoff - ZBS Foundation (1982)

The SubGenius Hour of Slack #1581 - Doug 3 - "I wanna Die 4 "Bob" 7/31/2016

Baby - Suburban Lawns (1983)



*if you actually are a Bob, this may not apply to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment