Saturday, April 29, 2017

Artificial Radio Hour with Rev. Dr. Dr. Phill Part 18


Hey there folks!

Back again with a regular, shorter show. Only one, real big, podcast clip here. There was too much neat stuff in this Chuck Klosterman interview that I just couldn't bear to trim it down much.

Chuck Klosterman

A lot of thoughts on aging, and legacy, and the future. Neat stuff. Hey, I just had a birthday, whadaya want?

To accompany it, I chose a bunch of jazz from the 50's and early 60's. I listed the full group lineups because, well, it's jazz? It's what's done I guess.

Wayne Shorter, Art Blakey, Lee Morgan. Lee & Wayne weren't in the group in 1957.
I'm thinking some type of electronic music for next week. Does anybody have any requests? (Look you guys, I have 93,574 mp3 files on my hard drive. I've listened to quite a bit of it, but I appreciate any tips & suggestions from you about where I should poke around in my big music cavern next. Suggest away!)

Until next week,

Enjoy!

- Rev. Dr. Dr. Phill

I Mean You - Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers With Thelonious Monk (Art Blakey – Drums, Thelonious Monk – Piano, Johnny Griffin – Tenor Saxophone, Bill Hardman – Trumpet, Spanky DeBrest – Bass. Recorded in May, 1957)

Jesse Thorn. Admit it, you didn't think he looked like that, did you?
Bullseye with Jesse Thorn - Chuck Klosterman, author of “What If We’re Wrong?”  8/1/2016

This is the best photo of Thelonious Monk that doesn't include a hat.
 Ruby, My Dear - Thelonious Monk & John Coltrane (Thelonious Monk – Piano, John Coltrane – Tenor Saxophone, Wilbur Ware – Bass, "Shadow" Wilson – Drums. Recorded in New York, Spring 1958)

Ruby: The Adventures of a Galactic Gumshoe Part 22: The Island, The Volcano, The Trap - ZBS Foundation (1982)

Bluing - Miles Davis/Sonny Rollins (Miles Davis – Trumpet, Sonny Rollins – Tenor Saxophone, Jackie McLean – Alto Saxophone, Tommy Potter – Bass, Art Blakey – Drums, Walter Bishop, Jr. – Piano. Recorded October 5, 1951)

Ruby: The Adventures of a Galactic Gumshoe Part 23: Ruby Disarms - ZBS Foundation (1982)

Sonny Rollins
St. Thomas - Sonny Rollins (Sonny Rollins – Tenor Saxophone, Doug Watkins – Bass, Max Roach – Drums, Tommy Flanagan – Piano. Recorded at Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, NJ; June 22, 1956)

Ruby: The Adventures of a Galactic Gumshoe Part 24: "It's Coming From Out There" - ZBS Foundation (1982)

Google turns up fewer photos of Miles Davis with John Coltrane than I would have guessed.
Someday My Prince Will Come - Miles Davis (Miles Davis – Trumpet, John Coltrane – Tenor Saxophone, Hank Mobley – Tenor Saxophone, Wynton Kelly – Piano, Paul Chambers – Bass, Jimmy Cobb – Drums. Recorded at Columbia 30th Street Studio, New York March 7, 1961)

No comments:

Post a Comment